Join Jacqueline Arturi, TMI Lead Consultant and Elementary STEM Specialist, for an engaging and practical workshop focused on developing dynamic instructional warm-up routines that foster strong numeracy skills among students. Math Warm-Ups for the Elementary Classroom (K-6): Building Numeracy Activities is designed to empower educators with creative strategies to kickstart each math lesson with enthusiasm, ignite critical thinking, and build a strong foundation in mathematics.
- Understanding Math Warm-Ups:
- Explore the significance of math warm-up activities in setting a positive tone for the lesson, priming students' minds, and reinforcing key mathematical concepts.
- Designing Effective Numeracy Activities:
- Learn how to craft engaging and age-appropriate numeracy activities that align with your curriculum objectives. Discover various formats, such as puzzles, quick problem-solving tasks, and mental math challenges.
- Cultivating Critical Thinking:
- Delve into strategies that encourage students to think critically, analyze patterns, and solve problems efficiently, all within the short timeframe of a warm-up exercise.
- Adapting to Different Levels:
- Explore how to tailor numeracy activities to accommodate diverse skill levels within the classroom. Discover ways to challenge advanced students while providing support to those who need it.
- Interactive Group Warm-Ups:
- Engage in collaborative warm-up activities that promote teamwork, communication, and peer learning. Experience firsthand how group dynamics can enhance numeracy skills.
- Integrating Technology:
- Explore how technology tools can enhance math warm-up routines. Learn about interactive apps and online resources that add an exciting dimension to numeracy activities.
- Quick Assessment Insights:
- Discover how math warm-ups can serve as quick formative assessments, providing educators with insights into students' understanding and areas that may need reinforcement.
- Adopting a Daily Routine:
- Discuss the benefits of incorporating math warm-ups as a consistent daily routine. Understand how these routines can improve overall math performance over time.
- Incorporating Real-World Context:
- Learn how to infuse warm-up activities with real-world scenarios and practical applications, enhancing students' appreciation for the relevance of math in everyday life.
- Creating Customized Warm-Ups:
- Gain hands-on experience in designing your own math warm-up activities tailored to your students' needs and curriculum goals.
By the end of the TMI's Math Warm-Ups for the Elementary Classroom (K-6): Building Numeracy Activities workshop, participants will be equipped with an array of creative warm-up exercises that promote numeracy skills, critical thinking, and student engagement. Join us as we transform the way math is introduced and start each lesson with a burst of mathematical enthusiasm. Whether you're a seasoned educator or new to the field, this workshop promises practical takeaways to enhance your teaching toolkit.
Audience: All Grade K-6 Mathematics Educators
Instructor: Jacqueline Arturi, TMI Lead Consultant and Elementary STEM Specialist
Delivery Format: Virtual
Date/Times: October 11, 2023; 9 AM-12 PM
About Your Instructor
Jacqueline Arturi is a lifelong educator, instructional coach, and consultant. More to follow!
Payment Methods and Cancellation/Refund Policy: Payment can be made by purchase order (PO) or check to TMI Education, LLC. Please mail all correspondence, including purchase orders, checks and agreements to TMI Education – PLC Division at PO Box 922, Madison, NJ 07940. If you are unable to attend a program for which you have registered, email the TMI PLC at [email protected] or call seven (7) days prior to the program to request a refund. No refunds will be granted unless notification is provided within this time frame. TMI Education reserves the right to cancel events for any reason, including inclement weather and instructor illness. If TMI Education makes the decision to cancel a workshop, we will use the EMAIL contact information you have provided to us to inform you. In addition, we will post the announcement of cancellation on the respective TMI Education website event page. If TMI Education cancels, participants will be provided a choice of:
- a full refund;
- transfer to another, upcoming workshop date and location (space permitting); or
- credit toward a future workshop. (Please note that all credits expire one (1) year from the date that they are issued.)
Video-Recorded Virtual (Zoom) Sessions and Tips to Maintain your Privacy during a Recorded Session: As an added value, all virtually-delivered programs are video recorded and accessible to our workshop registrants and Professional Learning Consortium Members subsequent to the session. Therefore, each virtually-delivered workshop and webinar will now have Zoom’s Recording Disclaimer enabled by default. With this feature, attendees will receive a notification when a recording starts or if they join a session that is already being recorded. The participant can then consent to stay in the session and be recorded or choose to leave the session altogether.
Tips to Maintain your Privacy during a Virtually-Delivered Session: Actively engaging in Zoom sessions is important. Participants may have concerns, however, of a Zoom session recording capturing their participation. Meeting hosts or instructors are taking steps to minimize this concern. In addition to the consent, participants can also use the following steps and features to take control of what is shared when a session is being recorded.
- Change your participant name displayed in Zoom (e.g. only use your first name, replace your name)
- Disable your video
- Mute your audio
- Do not communicate via the chat feature
- Do not upload an identifiable profile photo
Please refer to Zoom’s Attendee Controls for more information on how to use these features.